Playing Like it's 1973

We wrapped up the Second Season of Ravenloft: Masque of the Red Death, and we can now get started on a project that I have been really looking forward to; our own world! If Gothic Earth has taught me anything, it is that it is incredibly easy to create your own spaces. not to mention that it is more interesting to DM because I'm not even sure what is out there.

The biggest change to this game will be the ruleset. It is no secret that there are things in AD&D that I just don't like anymore, and through talking to some of the original players I have found the basic source materials that AD&D was based upon and use that instead. So, we'll be using mostely original Dungeons & Dragons and homebrew it on a need to basis. I want a game that is more Dave Arneson than Gary Gygax, but less tongue in cheek.

I am shooting for a classic game where the players don't know the rules. The more I examine systems, the more I notice the players basing decisions on game facts rather than their own imaginations. I've done my best to weed this kind of metagaming out of their thinking; you know, not limiting them to the character sheet. Is it too late to bring back that sense of wonder and amazement after 30 years of AD&D? I think so.



2 comments:

Halenar Frosthelm™, The Perilous Dreamer™ said...

No, it is not too late and it can be done and you can do it. Just tell the players what you want to do and that you are tweaking things just enough that everything they think they know, they do not.

Unknown said...

Sounds fun, I look forward to read your updates as you post them. I'll also be reading your other posts as well to catch up.

Post a Comment

Statcounter

Contact me at Ripx187@gmail.com

Search This Blog